Support us, spread the word
Our Blogging Partner
- “Be My Valentine – 1 Billion Rising” by Lalita Raman
- Economics Journal: What Price for Women’s Rights? by Rupa Subramanya
- “I am writing in my story to show that there is hope if we are just courageous enough to reach for it.” by Indian Homemaker
- Kerala Sex Scandals: Stolen girls of God’s Own Country by Ramlath Kavil
- India’s great sickness by Samar Halarnkar.
A big thank you to…A special thanks to Sara Jamil of Jam Designs, for our lovely logo and banner. http://jamdesigns.wordpress.com/ For the time, the thought and the effort she put into working with us on something that fit our brief and worked with our design sensibility.
Category Archives: VAWM in the news
In recent months, there has been much coverage of horrific crimes against women in India. These crimes include rape, murder, sexual abuse, and other forms of violence. The reaction of at least some of India’s political class has been far … Continue reading
The state of Kerala, India, often cited as a model of development, has in the past two decades seen a multitude of sex scandals where minor girls have been subject to sexual abuse and exploitation. You got to be kidding. … Continue reading
It began with the media. Supposedly responsible national newspapers identified the nationality of a student — she is not Indian — of the National Law School of India University (NLSIU), one of the nation’s most prestigious law schools, after she … Continue reading
See the photographs here.
Of all the rich G20 nations, India has been labelled the worst place to be a woman. But how is this possible in a country that prides itself on being the world’s largest democracy? In an ashram perched high on … Continue reading
It’s an unfortunate truth that women are sexually harassed, and sometimes assaulted, the world over. But in the Indian state of Maharashtra, there is an increasing determination to stamp out “Eve teasing”, as it is called here, for good. It … Continue reading
1. http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/school-expels-rape-victim-nhrc-serves-notice-to-top-haryana-officials/article4029670.ece School expels rape victim, NHRC serves notice to top Haryana officials The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has issued notices to the Haryana Chief Secretary, the Director of Education and the Fatehabad District Collector, asking them to submit reports … Continue reading
Recent violence against women, such as the aggravated sexual assault on a young student in Guwahati in Assam, has deeply shocked the public conscience. Yet it’s only one small component of pervasive violence against women — the fastest rising crime … Continue reading
1. Bidadi gang rape case: Accused thought victims were rich dancers BANGALORE: The culprits who allegedly gang-raped three women after kidnapping them from their residence in Bidadi last week chose their victims under the mistaken impression that they were cash-flush … Continue reading
Girls under ten being have been raped while on their way to use a public toilet, say women living in Delhi’s slums. In one slum, boys hid in toilet cubicles at night waiting to rape those who entered. These are … Continue reading