As I’m writing this in the wee hours of the morning, before the crack of dawn, Valentine’s Day is slowly but surely rolling out.
The Valentine Day fever or retail mania has started off a week to 10 days back even in the non Western world. From India, Pakistan, Hong Kong, China and various nook and corners of Asia, it is almost impossible to miss the fervor of this special day.
What is Valentine’s Day ? I won’t bore you with details but for the curios mind, you can check the link.
The significance from what I have read and understood is that it marks the Feast day of Saint Valentine; the celebration of Love and affection.
In my view, love and affection can be to your mother, wife, girl friend, boy friend, spouse, friend, brother, sister, father, child or for that matter to any human being.
I’ve never been a big fan of Valentine’s Day because the true meaning has been lost over the years in the way it is commercialized and has in my view become one of the biggest money-making business. One loses their peace of mind with advance restaurant bookings, retailers wooing you with the Valentine’s Day clichés, set menus in restaurants with no choice left to you to choose what you desire to eat.
On this Valentine’s Day and going forward ask yourself
- Is this all that Love and Affection is about ?
- Are you further victimizing a woman who has already been sexually assaulted by your attitude and lewd comments ?
- Do you find power in degrading a woman mentally and physically ?
- Are you not ostracizing woman when you make statements to the effect that woman walk in perpetual consent when they dress the way they want?
- Are you not being an oppressor watching a rape or sexual assault silently ?
- Are you not contributing to violence against woman when you watch TV shows and movies that show woman as a commodity ?
- Are you not being a sexist when you engage in verbal sexual assaults or silently watch the same against a woman ?
- Are you not bringing disdain to love and affection when you decide to abort a child when you determine the sex of the child is female ?
- Are you not aiding and abetting with the oppressors when you don’t raise your voice against Female Genital Mutation, sexual abuse or harassment or female feticide or any other form of violence against women.
- For anyone who thinks women should ignore online harassment, and not react, would you do so? Would you ignore it if you are abused, and threatened on-line ?
- Why do you as society victimize a female and view her with a cacophony of distrust ?
- Are you treating the woman in your life with love, affection, respect and care?
- Are you being human while dealing with a woman ?
Key Highlights from onebillionrising.org. Watch the Video http://t.co/uK97Qnko.
“ONE IN THREE WOMEN ON THE PLANET WILL BE RAPED OR BEATEN IN HER LIFETIME.
ONE BILLION WOMEN VIOLATED IS AN ATROCITY
ONE BILLION WOMEN DANCING IS A REVOLUTION
On V-Day’s 15th Anniversary, 14 February 2013, we are inviting ONE BILLION women and those who love them to WALK OUT, DANCE, RISE UP, and DEMAND an end to this violence. ONE BILLION RISING will move the earth, activating women and men across every country. V-Day wants the world to see our collective strength, our numbers, our solidarity across borders.
What does ONE BILLION look like? On 14 February 2013, it will look like a REVOLUTION.
ONE BILLION RISING IS:
A global strike
An invitation to dance
A call to men and women to refuse to participate in the status quo until rape and rape culture ends
An act of solidarity, demonstrating to women the commonality of their struggles and their power in numbers
A refusal to accept violence against women and girls as a given
A new time and a new way of being.“
Change starts with you, with your family. If you change your mindsets and attitudes, and every member of your family did the same, this world will no longer have woman who are treated as a Sexual Commodity to be harassed, tortured, raped, humiliated or killed.
Start now, start today. Speak up, spread the good word of Be A Human and a Woman is Human. Raise your voice as a human being and bring Violence Against Women to an END.
Read the original post here: http://lalitaraman.com/2013/02/14/be-my-valentine-1-billion-rising/