The number of acid attacks is particularly high in the southern part of Punjab, the south Asian country’s cotton belt and second largest province. Naila Farhat became victim of an acid throwing attack by a spurned suitor from Layyah, a district of southern Punjab. She was thirteen when her elementary school teacher, and admirer whom she had rejected, assalted her on her way home from school in 2003. Farhat pressed charges and attended court sessions for six years, yet watched the teacher escape unpunished.
Support us, spread the word
Our Blogging Partner
- “Be My Valentine – 1 Billion Rising” by Lalita Raman
- Economics Journal: What Price for Women’s Rights? by Rupa Subramanya
- “I am writing in my story to show that there is hope if we are just courageous enough to reach for it.” by Indian Homemaker
- Kerala Sex Scandals: Stolen girls of God’s Own Country by Ramlath Kavil
- India’s great sickness by Samar Halarnkar.
A big thank you to…A special thanks to Sara Jamil of Jam Designs, for our lovely logo and banner. http://jamdesigns.wordpress.com/ For the time, the thought and the effort she put into working with us on something that fit our brief and worked with our design sensibility.