I was about 11 when my next door neighbour turned from a much-respected teacher in a leading school in Madras, to our colony’s resident drunk and wife-basher. My first exposure the violence against women, and the impotency of society. A well-educated, religious, until-recently delightful father of two turning to bottle and fists? Must be bad company, a wife with a loose tongue, demanding in-laws… anything and anyone but the man himself was to be blamed. The cycle of drinks, violence, apologies continued till the man OD-ed on cheap liquour and dropped dead at the local ‘wine’ shop.
Support us, spread the word
Our Blogging Partner
- “Be My Valentine – 1 Billion Rising” by Lalita Raman
- Economics Journal: What Price for Women’s Rights? by Rupa Subramanya
- “I am writing in my story to show that there is hope if we are just courageous enough to reach for it.” by Indian Homemaker
- Kerala Sex Scandals: Stolen girls of God’s Own Country by Ramlath Kavil
- India’s great sickness by Samar Halarnkar.
A big thank you to…A special thanks to Sara Jamil of Jam Designs, for our lovely logo and banner. http://jamdesigns.wordpress.com/ For the time, the thought and the effort she put into working with us on something that fit our brief and worked with our design sensibility.